What is a sliding glass door? Well, an example of sliding glass door can be seen in most computer labs across schools in various parts of the world. However, the total framework, which is mainly with aluminum frames and cheap quality rubber framing in between, is not at all something that can portray the beauty and elegance that a glass door can have in your house.
Table of Contents
GoDear Design Deluxe Adjustable Sliding Panel Track Blind 45.8"- 86" W x 96" H, Extendable 4-Rail Track, Trimmable Natural Woven Fabric, Marble
$139.99 in stock
3 used from $117.84
Table of Contents
Well, it has got to be one of the most unique aspects for any patio found at the back of your house. Everything goes when it comes to the influence that the sliding door has on the house. It will definitely fit in with those that would want a contemporary design in their house, as well as those that would like to maintain an aesthetic feel to the entire house. The sliding operation is not typically something that can be constituted as a traditional style.
One of the most important advantages for the sliding glass doors is that the opening can be quite wide, than most of the contemporary door designs. Yes, the standard fittings of the door would be around 6 feet wide, however, width of door till 10 feet can also be found.
PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Patio Panel Sliding Glass Dog and Cat Door, Adjustable 76 13/16 in to 80 11/16 in - Large White Pet Door
3 used from $110.82
A very important consideration for design when you look at a sliding glass door to be incorporated in the house is the size of the frame. The actual size of the frame will depend upon the material used for framing. While materials like aluminum and other metal frames can be quite thin, if you go for the vinyl frames, you would most likely find it to be extremely thick.
However, no matter what kind of door you would want incorporated in your house, the owners of the house would always demand uninterrupted access to and from the house via the door. There are many manufacturers lining up to predict that doors with about 10 feet width would become a standard very soon. However, the glass sliding doors are not always about the amount of austerity that it would bring to the house. It is also energy efficient, as in most cases, it happens to be airtight. This would help in saving a lot of heat and coolness from escaping the house.
Slideback- Self Closing Sliding Patio Door Closer (Heavy Duty) for 5-6 ft Doors
Types of sliding glass doors
- The French Slider: – Well, one could call it a two panel sliding door, although in reality, it is a slider that contains four panels. However, the two outer panels on either side of the door is fixed, and it is the panels in between that would slide. It resembles the doors that you get to see when you enter a shopping mall.
- The Telescopic Patio door: – This is a style that is contemporary, and has an ability to create a very big opening, that will be able to eliminate any kind of barrier between the indoors and outdoors. Such type of doors generally contains three or more panels that will be able to slide past each other, thereby throwing up a lot of space, without any problem.
- The Folding Glass Doors: – This is a door that resembles most of our windows that can be folded into various parts. Yes, the advantage of having such type of a glass door is that you will be able to allow for a bigger opening from one corner to the other, without having any opportunity to create barriers in between. It requires four panels that will be hinged two-by-two and open up to resemble a normal door.
NICETOWN Patio Sliding Door Curtain - Wide Blackout Curtains, Keep Warm Draperies, Grey Sliding Glass Door Drapes (Gray, 100 inches W x 84 inches L)
$28.49 in stock
So, what kind of a sliding glass door should you purchase?
Well, there are numerous factors that you need to take into consideration. Some of them are: –
- Cost: -When you have a limited budget, you have to decide for yourself the kind of products and companies that fall within your limits. Selecting the best from amongst them, thereby effectively shortlisting products would do you and your budget a lot of good.
- Space– In most modern houses, there are constraints when it comes to space. You might be willing to have a 20 feet sliding door, but if you only have space for 10 feet, there is impracticality in the previous desire. So, try and select a design and a contemporary look that will be able to fit the space in your house. However, there are some companies that can provide you with a good solution when it comes to freeing up space and helping you get the best design Incorporated within your house. Although, you have to note that such services are provided for an extra charge. So ask for quotations before engaging the people for the task.
- Quality of the product- Different companies come with various claims about the best product being used in their sliding doors. However, it is up to you to decide the kind of security that you want, and the kind of look that you would want to imbibe in your house. As a rule of thumb, if you need security, then go with a thickness of glass of at least 2”-4”. It will provide you with the necessary protection in case you have to leave the house for a few days.
- Contemporary or traditional style– If you have a house that is bordering on a traditional style, then you would need frames in your glass sliding door that can reflect that particular style. Having a culture clash in your own house with the various interior products is not something that you would want. If your house is built on a contemporary style, then you will find the choice more obvious with contemporary sliding glass doors to be found in plentiful in the current market.
WOODBRIDGE MBSDF6076-B Frameless Sliding Shower, 56"-60" Width, 76" Height, 5/16" inch Clear Tempered Glass, Brushed Nickel Finish, Designed for Smooth Door Closing and Opening. MSDF6076-B
Well, let’s now have a look at the best sliding glass doors available in the market.
- Pella 350 Series: – Well, when it comes to quality sliding doors, this is the erstwhile King. Yes, the company has been able to create a monumental look in the houses of some of the famous Hollywood stars with the help of their glass sliding doors. The entire 350 series has been able to boast of a durable look that not only weathers most of the competition but also decimates them without any thought whatsoever.
- It contains the Smoothseam interior corners which are welded and virtually invisible to the naked eye.
- Extremely durable than most of the ordinary vinyl products in the market.
- An energy efficiency of up to 83% with the help of its triple pane glasses when compared to a single window.
- The presence of tandem nylon rollers for smooth operation.
- Exotic grille patterns that can enhance the architectural style of your house.
- Superseal 8000 series: – When it comes to effortlessly slide your glass door, without having to worry about the product, this is the one company that you should look up to. Having been in this business for a long period of time, sliding glass doors made by Superseal is not only good when it comes to energy efficiency, but also the best when it comes to durability and quality of the glass door.
- It contains 1 inch tempered insulating glass for superior durability.
- It has a fully assembled welded sash and frame for extended support.
- A lifetime limited warranty.
- The handle set has two options, white and beige.
- Aluminum reinforced hardware rail for excellent grip on the door.
- Multi chambered Vinyl has been introduced for a dependable operation that lasts a lifetime.
- Integrity All Ultrex Sliding door from Marvin: – if you need a sliding glass door that not only reflects your style, durability as well as an unobstructed view of the entire world all around you, then you got to go with the sliding door from Marvin. The true strength of the Ultrex sliding door lies in the contemporary design as well as resisting all the natural faults that can be found in the sliding doors. The result is actually getting a sliding door that not only will glide smoothly for the thousandth time, but also helps you to get appropriate energy efficiency.
- Vinyl patio door for a contemporary design.
- 2” thick important glass for appropriate protection.
- Ultrex incorporated within the frame to provide an excellent architectural beauty and sturdiness.
- Misalignment issues and sagging are restricted with efficient technical features incorporated into the frame.
- Aluminum exteriors for the harsh vagaries of the weather.
- Fiberglas sill and a three panel design incorporated for the flexibility of the sliding door.
- Kolbe Ultra series Garden-Aire sliding door: -If wood is a mandatory part even when it comes to glass doors, then getting a product from this particular series is definitely something that you need to do. After all, this is the one company that has successfully imbibed wood into the glass doors, making it something of a fusion that cannot be tackled by most of the other companies.
- Aluminum provided to the exterior of the framework for excellent support to the glass door.
- A 30 year limited warranty for the exterior finish.
- Interiors made out of wood.
- Over 35 colors optional when it comes to the exterior finish off the glass door.
- The use of tandem rollers that come with adjustable ball bearing wheels.
- Exterior finish made out of fluoropolymer.
- Various sizes can be customized, ensuring for quality remodeling and construction work.
- Weather Shield contemporary collection: – When it comes to sliding glass doors, this company has definitely made inroads into a market that is already flooded with contemporary designs. The kind of two panels, three panels as well as a four panel glass doors that you get to see from this company is definitely revolutionary in its own aspect. The versatility in the design is something that most of the companies may not be able to match.
- This sliding glass door is rated DP-35.
- Different variants are available, most notably anodized aluminum exteriors along with wood and aluminum extruded.
- It has a two-point lock system for added security.
- The presence of one and a half inch diameter of tandem rollers can provide for a snag free rolling feature in the sliding door.
- It has Fiberglas sills that totally glorify the look of this particular product.
WOODBRIDGE Frameless Sliding Shower Door, 56"-60" Width, 76" Height,3/8"(10 mm) Clear Tempered Glass, MBSDC6076-B Brushed Nickel, 60" x 76"