When you wake up in the morning after an uncomfortable night’s sleep, and find yourself having small, red bite marks, you can safely diagnose them to be due to bed bugs. However, getting rid of bed bugs is easier said than done. Most people say that all you need to do is to change the mattress and the problem would go away.
However, it is not exactly one simple method that will help you to get rid of them, since there is already an infestation in your room, and most probably all around your house.
There are certain tips that you can use in order to eradicate the bedbugs, and possibly prevent and control the infestation from happening ever again. Let’s have a look at some of them.
- With a thorough cleaning of the linens, bed cover and the pillowcase, you would be able to get rid of the bedbug infestation. Washing it and then using a dry cleaner to get the items cleaned towards the appropriate hygienic condition will be more than enough for you to get rid of the bedbug infestation for the time being. It would also prevent the bedbugs from travelling to other destinations in your house.
- Vacuuming is a wonderful way for you to get rid of the bedbugs from your house. You need to start vacuuming in all of the crevices of your house, especially the locations around your bed. If you find a lot of cracks in and around your bed, make sure that you carry around a scraper in order to scrape the bed, so as to collect the bedbug eggs, otherwise it could lead to possible infestation in the near future.
- Steam Cleaning is an approach taken by most of the fumigation companies and pest extermination companies in order to get rid of the bedbugs from your house. You can choose to purchase the steam cleaning equipment by yourself and sanitize each and every household equipment. However, you have to make sure that the steamer is capable of reaching temperatures exceeding 200°F, or else the purchase would go to waste. Bedbugs have been known to die around that particular temperature range.
- Well, since alcohol contains pure ethyl alcohol, it is a flammable liquid and perfectly capable to exterminate bed bugs. All you need to do is to pour some alcohol into a spray bottle, and then start applying them to places that may contain the bedbugs, or its eggs. Follow it up with a scraper, and you will be able to collect a lot of bedbugs, adult as well as in its nascent stages in the form of an egg.
- Use a mattress cover. While most people think of this as a preventive method, this is actually extremely successful in getting rid of the bedbugs. While most of the bedbugs end up sealing themselves to the mattress cover, if, you end up covering up the mattress cover after cleaning them, they would not be able to secure their food. Sooner or later, they would end up dying.
- The use of pesticides to get rid of bedbugs is not a new technique, but rather old. There are various on-store chemicals that have a certain amount of effectiveness on getting rid of bedbugs. However, constant use with the same kind of chemicals only induces resilience in them, creating a lot of problems for you.
- The use of medicated powder, which also goes by the name of diatomaceous earth, is also something that is very common. You can apply them to the places you suspect contain bedbugs, and wait for a certain period of time. However, while applying, always make sure that you put on a face mask, and wear gloves as the minimum amount of precaution. The fumes are toxic, and extremely dangerous if you inhale in generous amounts.
- If your house contains a lot of personal items like stuffed toys, blankets, and anything to do with wool or cloth all stuffed in a single place, get rid of it at the earliest, and start cleaning the area with a vacuum cleaner. Bedbugs tend to find themselves lodged in places that they can latch onto and places that contain a lot of clothes are amongst their favorite. If you also have a place that contains a lot of bags, then those need to be cleaned as well.
- You can dismantle the bedframe, try and get a look at each and every crevice located in the bedframe so as to find the source or the hiding spot of the bedbugs. Once you do find the location, all you need to do is to spray that particular place with alcohol solution.
- Try and remove the existing furniture from the location, and check the area. Remove the drawers from the desk and the dresser, and get the furniture away from the wall. This would effectively get rid of all the hiding spaces that bedbugs normally frequent.
- Switch off all the lights in the bedroom, asks your partner to hold up the mattress, and take it upon yourself to shine a flashlight in that fabric. Your partner would be able to see the bedbug infestation in the dim lighting, and after diagnosing the places, you would be able to spray the places with alcohol solution, or get the entire place cleaned. If you undertake this process, you would be able to get rid of the infestation from the mattress as well as from all the pieces of linen used in the bedding very fast.
- You can make use of mattress encasement so as to box down the bedbugs in the rollaway bed mattress. Since they would not be able to get access to your body in order to secure blood, they would starve and die.
- If you find a lot of holes or cracks in and around your bedroom or for that matter any pipes, then you need to get it sealed as early as possible. Since these are the favorite pieces of hiding for bedbugs or other pests, you would effectively be able to seal off their route of journey. They would either have to go out from your house, or they would have to starve to death.
- Always use a stiff brush, when you’re looking to clean a room that has been infested with bedbugs. It would be strong enough to dislodge the eggs of the bedbugs, but gentle enough not to cause any damage to the linen or to other parts of the room.
- You can purchase monitoring devices aka the bedbug monitoring traps so as to help determine where the majority of the population of the bedbugs resides. After you find out the source, you would be able to get rid of them very easily.
- If you have recently purchased a second-hand bed or furniture, it is always important to check each and every crevice as soon as you find bedbugs bite marks on your body. Even with the purchase of a new mattress, you might not be able to get the shelter and protection from the bedbugs.
- You can also purchase the guard liners from the market. They have to be placed on the bed, and are effective as both the preventive measures as well as getting rid of bugs that are already present in the bed. They have the capability to kill the bedbugs within 24 hours of detection. Various sizes of the guard liners, that are tuned to the size of the bed can be found from the market.
- If you have recently come home from a trip, and suddenly find bedbug infestation in your house, then the infestation was actually brought from the trip. Make sure that you clean the clothes, as well as the house at the earliest possible opportunity.
- If you have a carpet in your house, then this can be the possible breeding ground for bedbugs. Make sure that you get your carpet cleaned at the earliest possible opportunity, and make sure that you mention steam cleaning during the carpet cleaning process. This way, you will effectively be able to get rid of bedbugs in case they were in the carpet.
- You can go to the market and purchase bed bugs spray of any variety. However, make sure that it is of a recognizable brand, and do not make the mistake of using the same brand over and over again to get rid of bedbug infestations from your house. It only increases the immunity of the bedbugs towards a particular variation of spray, rendering it moot towards the eradication of bedbugs in the long run.
- An all new bed bugs steam cleaner can also be found in the market. It is also very effective in getting rid of bedbugs, and has been specifically tuned for that purpose itself. However, the price can be a factor for you; if you still feel that the infestation of bedbugs in your house is getting out of hand, then this is the ultimate resort for you.
- A very handy method to check bedbug infestation from the carpet would be to double side tape the feet of your bed. Although, it is not exactly a permanent solution, but it is a handy measure to help you gauge the kind of infestation that you can find from the carpet. Since these bedbugs travel from the carpet to your bed through the feet or stumps of the bed frame, they would get stuck on the tape. You will rest easy knowing that you have been able to counter the bedbug infestation, and then take corrective measures to get rid of it.
- You can cover your bed with plastic; the bed cover can easily be zip locked, in case you do find that the infestation is something getting out of hand. This way, you can prevent yourself from becoming a blood donor to the bedbugs on a daily basis, and you can also successfully trap them.
- If everything fails, then you could try to take the help of the pest extermination services in order to get rid of the bedbugs from your house. Granted that they can take a big chunk of money from you, but the kind of job that they do will definitely help you to breathe a sigh of relief, knowing that there is no bedbugs to disturb you or your family at night.